Australia Corona Virus

Victoria records 1,007 local COVID-19 cases and three deaths as quarantine rules tightened

Source: ABCnews

Victoria has recorded 1,007 new locally acquired COVID-19 cases and three deaths, as the state tightens its quarantine rules in response to the spread of the Omicron variant.

There are now 11,501 active cases of the virus in Victoria, and 506 people have died during the state’s current Delta outbreak.

There are 300 COVID-19 patients in Victorian hospitals, with 45 active cases in ICU and 17 patients on ventilators.

The Health Department said a further 51 people were in the ICU, but that their COVID infection had cleared.

There were 1,813 vaccine doses administered at state-run clinics.

The hospitalisation figure marks an increase on yesterday, but maintains an overall stabilisation in recent days, along with case numbers.

Victorian hospitalisations have stabilised at roughly 300

Number of patients in hospital, ICU, and on ventilators, as reported by the Victorian health department each day

On the weekend, authorities announced all overseas arrivals in Victoria and their household contacts would be required to isolate at home or suitable accommodation for 72 hours, even if they were previously eligible for quarantine-free travel.

The changes, which took effect from 11:59pm Saturday, also mandate 14 days of hotel quarantine for anyone arriving from nine southern African countries where the variant of concern was first identified.

On Sunday, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said while the discovery of the Omicron variant justified the additional measures, it did not put Victoria “back to square one by any means”.

Victoria’s Health Department said returned travellers to the state from countries of concern had been tested for the Omicron strain detected in Sydney, and only negative tests had been received so far.

The department said it was aware of a COVID-19 case that had returned to Australia from a country of concern and tested positive in New South Wales. 

The case travelled to Victoria from NSW and subsequently returned to that state — Victorian health officials are interviewing the case.

It is unclear which strain of the virus they had.

The department said it would communicate directly with identified contacts to provide advice.